Tuesday 26 April 2011

Thrifty Finds

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter and didn't get to sick of chocolate.
As i mentioned in my last post, ive been going round a ton of Op shops while ive been in Australia, ive found some wonderful items, some need a bit of altering (removing shoulder pads, shortening a hemline) but that won't take to long.

My thrifting haul
=
3 bags
2 pairs Levis Jeans
1 pair of high-waisted jean shorts
A vintage jacket
2 blouses
A midi dress
A high-waisted pleated skirt
1 pair of 2mm knitting needles and a stitch holder
1 ball of yarn
A vintage ring box
 The white Glomesh bag is my most expensive op shop purchase at $20. It's an original from the 60s/70s and still has its tag on, it was originally marked up at $30 but that was to expensive for me so i asked if they would accept $20 which they agreed to. I saw quite a few glomesh bags at the vintage fair i went to and in vintage shops but i haven't seen many under $38 and none in such great condition so $20 was a bit of a bargain :)

Camel vinyl snakeskin -$2 Good Sammy's, Joondalup
Black braided-$2 Good Sammy's, Mandurah
Vintage Glomesh bag - $20 Zoila's, Mandurah

Levi's
587s (Top pair) - $10 Salvo's, Gateways
Signature straight leg - $8 Salvo's, Ocean Keys
I love the print on this dress it looks like buttons but the holes make up flowers, it's a size too big but it's got a corset style tie on the back so i can adjust it to fit properly and the gathering it creates looks really pretty. I'm not a fan of shoulder pads so shall be removing them and also want to take up the hem to make it a knee length dress as the midi style dosen't really suit me. It was originally marked up at $15 but i wanted to purchase the polka dot blouse ($10) as well, so i asked if the lady would accept $20 for both which she agreed to as i had helped her size a couple of kids handknitted jumpers that had been donated. She even offered me a job and we had a short conversation about the royal wedding.

Button print midi dress -$10 Red Cross, Mandurah
Again I'll be removing the shoulder pads from this jacket as well as the dress, i rolled up the sleeves to make it a bit more modern and im planning on replacing the buttons with some gold ones from the 1960s that i picked up at a vintage fair.
Plaid blazer -$6 Salvo's, Osbourne Park

High-waisted jean shorts - $1 Zoila's, Mandurah
Grey blouse - $5 Salvo's, Wangara
Black polka dot blouse -$10 Red Cross, Mandurah
High-waisted pleated skirt - $3 Zoila's, Mandurah
Pair of 2mm knitting needles and a stitch holder -$2 Good Sammy's, Mandurah
1 ball of yarn-$1 Salvo's, Gateways
Vintage ring box- free :) Good Sammy's, Mandurah

While I've been here i've found it much easier to haggle with people over the prices of items and it's surprisingly easy, i think most of the shops expect it here, I think it would be a bit frowned upon in the UK. For example my dad was buying an item in a department store, it was in perfect condition, not faulty in any way and he managed to get 15% off the price, just by asking if they could reduce it!!
Another example was today when i went to a vintage shop in Fremantle, i found a gorgeous 80s dress on the sale rail for $25 (will show in my next post), i tried it on and noticed the seam was coming apart slightly, it was easily repairable so i asked if she would drop the price to $20, not only did she say yes but she repaired the dress for me there and then!
I must have saved quite a few dollars just by asking if stores would reduce the price, even if its just $3 or $5 a time, every cent counts :)

I'm off to do some more thrifting tomorrow at one of the biggest op shops near Perth (and all the ones surrounding it). Can't wait!

Ttyl
Jennifer x

P.S. Not sure how I'm going to fit everything in my case when i fly home on Saturday :-s

2 comments:

  1. These finds are amazing; oh the polka dots!

    By the way, here is a link to my bicycle! It's from Walmart. :)

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-L-Cranbrook-cruiser-comfort-bike-model-56370-mint-green/12509650?findingMethod=rr

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome finds! i just LOVE going to thriftstores! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete